The cost of publishing a book varies greatly; self-published authors can expect to spend anywhere from $1900 on up to publish a book based on additional book production costs like editing, cover design, formatting, and more. If you are known in the entertainment industry and have notoriety, a large publishing firm will give you the tools to get your book published. They will supply makeup artists, photographers, writers, editors, and cover designers, all to complete your work at their expense because the book will sell.
After you finish writing the first draft of your book, here are all the steps to publishing a book, as well as how much they cost:
- Self-edit your book. Read through the whole book twice, editing along the way. This is free book editing, of course.
- Send your manuscript to beta readers. Take their comments into consideration for another round of editing. This is also free.
- Hire a professional editor to edit your book. This can cost $1,000-$2,000 depending on the length of your book.
- Index your book if you’ve written a nonfiction work. Book indexing can cost $70-$500.
- Format your book. You can DIY for $0-$250 and a ton of time, or you can hire a book formatter for $50-$1,000.
- Hire a book cover designer. This can cost $299-$2,000. If you’re selling print books, you need to hire a cover designer after you’ve formatted your book (because the girth of your book spine affects spine design). If you’re only selling an eBook, the order doesn’t matter.
- Market your book. You should be marketing your book before it’s finished and long after it’s published. There are plenty of inexpensive marketing solutions, but you can expect to pay $200-$2,000 for various book marketing tactics.
- Purchase an ISBN. Most eBooks don’t require ISBNs, but all print books do. ISBNs cost $29.50 (if bought in bulk) or $125 (if bought individually).
- Hire a proofreader. A proofreader checks that every letter and punctuation mark is in the right place. This is the last step before publishing. After proofreading, you shouldn’t make any more edits. A professional proofreader typically costs $500-$1,000.
- Publish your book on Amazon. This is an option for those who are tech-savvy.
- Hire a printer to print copies of your book in bulk. This can be done locally or through a company that produces books in bulk.
|Professional Cover Design
||Each book NEEDS a professional cover. People judge books by covers and without investing in one, your book will fail.
||$100 - $500
||Even if you're the best writer out there, your book will still need a fresh, unbiased pair of eyes on it.
||$200 - $1,500
||A good book needs proper formatting for paperback, hardback (if you want this), and in Ebook. Luckily, this can be included with cover design at many design firms.
||$50 - $300
||If you want to run ads for your web page or pay your launch team in any way, these are costs you will have to cover.
||$50 - $500